New York City
Commercial Property Controller
Primary Purpose of Position
Perform accounting for a select set of owned and/or managed properties and support the internal and external audit process of those properties.
- Execute all aspects of monthly, quarterly and annual property financial reporting for a select group of owned and/or managed properties
- Maintain the property general ledger and subsidiary ledgers and review for month to month variances
- Work with property management to research and explain budget to actual variances, and share these explanations with F&A leadership for use in monthly management meetings as required
- Support AVP, Property Accounting with ad-hoc analysis requests
- Prepare detailed audit work paper packages in connection with month-, quarter- and year-end financial audit and reporting process
- Support AVP, Property Accounting’s coordination efforts with Tax, SEC Reporting, and Fund A&R that ensure that accurate monthly, quarterly and annual property accounting information is delivered in a timely manner
- Create annual Building Operating Expenses reports
- Prepare annual operating budget, revised forecasts and five-year plan, with appropriate support
- Conduct lender compliance reporting and loan compliance activities (e.g., preparing financial packages for lenders, TC201, RPIE, etc.)
- Work with internal audit to test internal controls; coordinate with property personnel to ensure that controls are implemented and executed properly
- Perform financial analyses to support special projects as assigned
- Perform other duties and special projects as assigned
Requirements and Qualifications
Education & Certificates:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a related field
- Minimum of 3 years of accounting experience, preferably in a real estate environment and with a public organization
- REIT and commercial office properties experience preferred, but not required
- MRI experience preferred, but not required
- Strong understanding of accounting principles and the accounting requirements of real estate organizations
- Fundamental understanding of US GAAP and SEC financial reporting and controls needed to meet Sarbanes-Oxley standards
- Deep understanding of straight-line accounting, debits, and credits
- Analytical and technical accounting skills
- Strong organization, coordination and planning, and problem solving skills
- Ability to meet strict deadlines consistently
- Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to decipher and interpret legal documents
- Strong software skills including financial systems and MS Excel, commercial real estate software skills preferred
Internal and External Contacts
- Regularly interfaces both verbally and in writing with other members of the Finance and Accounting team and with Asset Management, Property Management, Leasing, Tax, Internal Audit, HR and other functions, as needed
- Interfaces with external auditors and external vendors
- The position reports directly to the AVP, Property Accounting, who reports to the VP, Property Accounting, and provides daily guidance and evaluates work performance on a periodic basis
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- During peak periods, extended hours may be required.
Only qualified candidates will be considered.
Please submit Resume in A WORD DOCUMENT email@example.com
Please let us know if you are available on Zoom, Skype and or FaceTime.
Please no phone calls.